Tue, Mar 15|
*Virtual* Tunnel Books
Create a three-dimensional world with your own illustrations or other source material using tunnel book structures.
Date + Time
Mar 15, 2022, 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM
These structures are like small theatres, similar to the shoebox dioramas children make in school. We will use our own illustrations or images cut from magazines or other source material in making our models. If you come with an idea or simple sketch for a small 3-dimensional world you want to create, you’ll be well prepared to make the most from this workshop. Our tunnel books will be 4” high x 6” wide, about the size of a postcard. We will discuss variations of the form and ways to incorporate the theatre into a folder or case. The model we make will be a solid basis for creating a final finished book or as reference for future work. Instructions for pre-cutting paper will be sent prior to the workshop.
Stephanie Wolff works with paper, text, textile, and the book form, with projects that explore themes of weather, history, and rural life, among other topics. She has been awarded fellowship/residencies, including from the American Antiquarian Society and the Jaffe Center for Book Arts. Her artist books are held in public and private collections and have been exhibited in the United States and Germany. As a longtime teacher of book arts, she enjoys sharing her knowledge from many years in bookbinding, conservation, and fine arts. www.stephaniewolffstudio.com
• Metal ruler, 12”
• X-acto knife, or similar craft knife and extra blades
• Self-healing cutting mat or a thick (not corrugated) piece of cardboard, like the back of a legal pad
• 4-6 smaller binder’s clips, paper clips, or clothespins,
• Glue stick
• Some kind of tape: masking, scotch or blue painter’s tape
• Colored pencils, markers, fine black marker
• Piercing tool or awl
• Scrap paper for gluing
• Westcott C-thru 2” x 12” or 1” x 6”clear ruler (optional, but very helpful)
• Bone folder (optional)
• 15-20 sheets of 8.5 x 11 card stock, 110 lb is best, 80 lb would work okay, and 65 lb if that’s all you can find (for the panels) some white and any colors you wish to use
• 4-8 sheets of 8.5 x 11 card stock, 65 lb, white or any colors (for the sides and must fold well, so thinner)
• Old magazines, postcards, clip art, or other illustrations or you can draw your own illustrations
Zoom Link will be sent 24 hrs before class.