African Mark Making on Paper and Fabric
Date + Time
African Mark Marking on Paper and Fabric
Instructor: Tony Williams
DATE: Saturday, July 17th - Sun, July 18th
TIME: 10:00 am–4:00 pm
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, July 13th
Explore African designs and Adire patterns while discovering the art of mark making using a variety of tools and techniques. You will learn several processes throughout the weekend including Batik, Adire Eleko, and Tie-Dye. Each represents a different form of resist dyeing, used to create patterns and textures when dyed with natural or synthetic indigo. You will gain experience in the use of cassava paste, beeswax, stitching, and dyeing as means to develop unique patterns throughout the weekend.
Tony Williams is a Cleveland based artist who's approach to works of art is like the Ashanti proverb. “You must you must act as if it's impossible to fail." Whether working in paper or a fabric quilt, or a pen and ink illustrations, his sense of design and line quality are always present in his work. A former student of the Cleveland Institute of Art, and a graduate of the Art of the Institute of Pittsburgh 1983. Tony uses his life experience as a catalyst for his work. A self-taught Indigo artist, costume designer and Accessory designer in New York's garment industry have molded and shaped his view and eye for design. Tony uses his willingness to experiment and try new techniques and methods to expresses Art. Tony's work has been shown in numerous local and national juried exhibits, international exhibitions and publications have featured his work. Tony is currently working with Indigo on paper, writing and illustrating children's' books.
- Natural fiber cloth Cotton fabric 3 -4 yds.
- white or natural Kozo paper by the yard from the Morgan store *
- This class is messy, so please wear an old apron (or wear old clothes and shoes that you don't mind getting dirty/stained).
- Students should bring rubber gloves for hand protection, any resists they would like to use for a patterning effect, and a dust mask to wear while measuring dye powder
- Lunch and a beverage
Materials with an asterisk (*) next to them are sold in our store.
- African Mark Making Workshop$240$2400$0